Welcome to Maddie Dean Photography The Blog! We're glad that you're interested in us! However, we have moved!!! Please check us out by Clicking Here Be sure to bookmark the new page. We don't want you to miss out on any sneak peaks or specials!!! Look forward to seeing you at our new home!!!

-Sarah-





Friday, March 27, 2009

Fix it Friday


So, on my new favorite blog, I heart faces, they have a Fix it Friday. They post a picture and hundreds of people 'fix' it. I love tinkering around in photoshop, so I think I'll starting giving this a try. Seems like a fun way to make sure I blog on Fridays. Along with posting the before & after pictures, I will also share the steps I took to achieve the final look!

Enjoy!
Sarah


Before


After


Normally, I'd work on a picture the 'long' way... by hand and not by actions. I was in a hurry today, so I did each of these using actions alone. Now, that being said, I do not believe that photoshoppers should rely on actions. Once you learn how to
to properly work on images, actions can be a great tool for cutting down your work time. But before that, you really need to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it! :)

Now, for the steps that I took to get this image:

1. Crop to 5x7, just because that's what I prefer to work with
Used Child's Play Actions for 1-4
1. Exposure fixer-upper
2. Brighten up buttercup x2
3. Warm me up x2
4. Glowly Color

4. Circled eyes using magnetic lasso and ran a USM set to 100, 3.0, 0
5. Brought down opacity just a bit - to around 86%
6. Ran eye pop action and adjusted to 86% opacity as well (I don't like eyes to look freaky!)

7. Vignette by Child's Play
8. Resized for web using Heidi's resize action.

I timed it, I did this image is just over 4 minutes, and that was with a squirmy toddler in my lap!! :)


Variations on After :)
For each of these, I began with my 'after' image from above

Used Jess' Warm Honey Action


Indie Actions Subtle Color & 1/2 kick


Purplish b&w from Child's Play

4 comments:

  1. wow, and all w/ a toddler on lap. very pretty, all of them, I like the last 2 the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All really nice - fave is the honey one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty. i really like the honey one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well not knowing any of the steps to fix a pic in the first place I couldn't have done any of what you did. So I think they all look great. My fave of the group??? I think that would have to be the last 2 with the Indie whatever you called it as the most fav.

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* blog love!